• Real gross domestic product (GDP) increased in 49 states and the District of Columbia in the fourth quarter of 2018, according to the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis.  Real GDP growth ranged from 6.6% in Texas to 0.0% in Delaware. Wholesale trade, mining, and information services were the leading contributors to the increase in real GDP nationally.  Mining and wholesale trade were the leading contributors to the increase in real GDP in Texas, the fastest growing state.
  • The producer price index for final demand (headline index) increased 0.2% in April, following a 0.6% increase in the previous month.  The index for final demand less foods, energy, and trade increased 0.4%, after holding steady in March. The producer price index for final demand increased 2.2% for the 12 months ended in April, while the index for final demand less foods, energy, and trade also increased 2.2%.
  • The consumer price index (headline index) increased 0.3% in April, following a 0.4% increase in the previous month. The core index increased 0.1%, the same increase as in the previous month. The consumer price index increased 2.0% for the 12-month period ending in April, while the core index rose 2.1%.
  • Real average hourly earnings for all employees decreased 0.1% from March to April. This result stems from a 0.2% increase in average hourly earnings combined with a 0.3% increase in the consumer price index.
  • The advance figure for initial claims for unemployment insurance decreased 2 thousand to 228 thousand in the week ending May 4. The 4-week moving average was 220.23 thousand, an increase of 7.75 thousand from the previous week’s average.
  • There were 7.5 million job openings on the last business day of March. The job openings rate for March was 4.7%, compared with 4.4% a year ago. The number of hires was virtually unchanged at 5.7 million in March. There were 5.4 million total separations, little changed from February.

Comments are closed.